The interface below provides information on major seasonal hazards such as floods, droughts, cyclones, disease outbreaks, and crop pests, including locusts. It offers details about crops’ growth cycles and lean seasons for the main crops cultivated in each country.
The ACAPS Seasonal Calendar is a strategic disaster risk management tool designed for humanitarian practitioners and decision makers. It can help take into account seasonal hazards, seasonal events, and agricultural cycles more effectively to inform:
- Risk and anticipatory analysis, including scenario-building exercises
- Emergency preparedness, such as the design and implementation of early warning systems, contingency planning, and anticipatory action
- Resilient livelihood programmes by informing the design of the intervention modalities based on the level of risk and anticipated needs triggered by seasonal events
- Disaster impact assessment by helping to estimate the impact of a disaster on the livelihoods of the exposed communities, taking crops’ growth cycles into account
- Emergency response programmes by enabling the anticipation of physical access constraints and informing early recovery initiatives.
The calendar is based on publicly available information, including reports from international and local humanitarian organisations, international and local media, social media platforms, UN agencies, and official government websites. When determining the data to include in the dataset, analytical judgment was applied. The information was verified through data triangulation, using multiple sources when necessary.
The calendar focuses on countries currently facing a humanitarian crisis according to the INFORM Severity Index.
Subnational data is provided for countries with varying seasonal patterns at the subnational level; for countries with consistent seasonal patterns, only national-level data is displayed.
26 July 2023
El Niño overview: anticipated humanitarian impact in 2023
DOCUMENT / PDF / 2 MB
The start of an El Niño season was officially announced in June 2023. This report provides a global overview of its anticipated humanitarian impact between July–December 2023, aiming to support strategic planning and anticipatory action.